A Business Permit is one of the requirements before a person or company can legally start a business in the Philippines. It is commonly known as Mayor’s Permit or Mayor’s Business Permit since it is being issued by the Office of the Mayor in the city or municipality where the business is to operate. To get a business permit could be time consuming but it is very doable especially if you have a overview of the things to do and prepare. That’s why this general guide can help you out.
Well, it is safe to assume that you are going to start a business that’s why you need to get a business permit. There are prerequisite documents before you can process obtaining a business permit. First you must get a Certificate of Business Registration from DTI as well as Barangay Clearance. Let’s assume that you already got these documents.
The procedure in getting a business permit in every city or municipality is not similar to each other since not all have the same standards and ordinance being observed. This article serves a general guide on the requirements and procedure in obtaining the said permit.
Business Permit Requirement
- Certificate of Business Registration
- Barangay Clearance Certificate
- Proof of Address: Certificate of Lease (if rented) or Certificate of Land Title (if owned)
- Community Tax Certificate (Cedula)
- 2 Valid IDs
How to Get Business Permit in the Philippines
- Go to the Office of the Mayor in the municipal or city hall where your business is under its jurisdiction. It could be wiser to ask someone where to process business permits. You might be directed to the Business Bureau or Business Permit and Licensing Office.
- Properly approach the person-in-charge in the office and let her/him know that you are going to apply for a business permit. You shall be given a New Business Application Form and fill it up.
- Submit your application form along with all your requirements on hand. The right personnel shall assess the completeness of your requirements. Depending on the nature of your business and the actual procedure on acquiring business permit in your locality, there is a possibility that there will be additional requirements other than written above.
- If your documents are fine, you’ll be asked to pay for the necessary fees to the Treasury Office.
- Wait for further instructions and claim your Business Permit and Business Plate.
This is just a general guide. Depending on the implemented ordinance and observed procedure on acquiring business permit in your locality, there could be more things to do other than this. You might be asked to get a Fire Permit from the Bureau of Fire and Protection, Health and Sanitation Permit from the Sanitary Office, Solid Waste Certificate from CENRO, etc.
Moreover, in terms of the nature of the business that you want to start, there could be additional special requirements. If the nature of your business is about travel and tours, you need to get a clearance or permit from the Department of Tourism (DOT). If you are to start a pawnshop business, you need to get a clearance from Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). If your business is a bakery or drugstore, you need to get a permit from Bureau of Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
You shall be guided by the right personnel in the Office of the Mayor about the additional permits or requirements you need to acquire before the issuance of your business permit.
These might be a lot to process but it is essential for your business to operate legally. As mentioned, requirements and procedure differs in every city or municipality. Hopefully this general guide helps and let us know some of your additional tips if you got your business permit successfully and include your location.